Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The New Yorker Uproar


Satire is defined as the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

I must say that I loved the recent satirical, yet controversial, cover of the New Yorker magazine the second I saw it because it mocks the absurd and exaggerated attempt by Fox News, in particular, to play off of people's fears by painting the Obamas as extremists. I have personally received emails from people I know informing me that Barack Hussein Obama attended a jihadist school in Indonesia as a child and would I please forward this email to as many friends as possible to prevent this radical from reaching the White House.

Is it the New Yorker magazine's fault that some people in our society choose not to filter out what the media and others feed them? When you refuse to question the environment around you, interpretation is easily manipulated. This is exactly the reason why the parents of JonBenet Ramsey, who were cleared last week of any wrong doing in the death of their daughter through DNA evidence, were convicted in the court of public opinion; and this is exactly why I feel that Barack Obama doesn't have a chance in hell of winning the presidency. Sound bites are accepted as fact; demagoguery is the new truth; and common sense, apparently, is the new code word for uppity, sophistication.

No comments: