Sunday, April 11, 2010

O.G.'s



"I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver/And I'm reading James Joyce
Some people tell me I got the blood of the land in my voice."
-Bob Dylan("I Feel A Change Comin' On")

In 2007, one of the most underrated country musicians ever, Billie Joe Shaver, was on his way to a gig in Houston when he decided to stop off at a bar in Lorena. While inside, Shaver said that a man by the name of Billy Coker pulled a knife and asked him to go outside. "I wanted to scare him...beat him to the punch. I feared he was going to kill me," Shaver said. So they went outside and Billy Joe shot Coker in the face with a 22-caliber pistol. Coker lived but the bullet is still lodged in his neck. During the trial in Waco last week, of which Shaver was found not guilty, the prosecutor asked Shaver if he was jealous because Coker was talking to his wife Wanda. "I get more women than a passenger train can haul. I'm not jealous," replied Shaver.

In the courtroom to support his pal was none other than Willie Nelson who is in a bit of a pickle himself. While Billy Joe's trial was going on, North Carolina prosecutor, Dewey Hudson, gave a press conference stating that substances seized from Willie's tour bus back in January are being tested at the state lab in Raleigh. This isn't the first time that "substances" have been seized from Willie's bus. In 2006, Louisiana state police found 1 1/2 lbs. of marijuana and about three ounces of "narcotic mushrooms."

The genre of music that Wille and Billy Joe fall under is often termed "outlaw country." Need I say more?

No comments: